Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Diet

Ok, not the losing weight kind, the "what you eat" kind.
When I was pregnant with Monkey, the midwives told me to eat healthily but I didn't realize that for me, healthy = Weight Watchers. Low fat, low cal, small portions, etc. They and my mom looked at my food diaries and said, "You've got to eat more!!" So I did, but still never over-indulged. I ate very well, which is probably why my skin, hair and nails looked so awesome. And I gained--even at my very heaviest at about 9 months--just under 30 lbs.
So! I'm going to start eating like a pregnant woman. Here's my plan and, no, I don't mind the lack of variety. It as easier on Weight Watchers to eat the same things and I did well with that.
Breakfast: fruit smoothie (organic whole milk, frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, etc. plus a banana, ground flax seed and protein powder) and a piece of super-fiberful bread with organic peanut butter
Lunch: turkey sandwich (Boar's Head meat only) with tomato and sprouts, plus an avocado. Maybe some veggie chips or carrot sticks. And soup sometimes, too.
Snack: one of the following: almonds, whole-milk yogurt with granola, hummus with veggies, a granola bar, a piece of fruit, etc.
Dinner: veggies and a grain--either whole wheat pasta or some good rice--and a Boca burger or a tuna or salmon patty. I'll have to find out what they're saying about fish now and the mercury issue.
Plus every night I'll treat myself to a good piece of dark chocolate.
I'd like to keep the animal protein to a minimum but I also know how I get without enough protein and it ain't pretty. Shaky, crabby, tired, etc. Yikes. I'll have to be creative with ways to get my protein.
When I got pregnant with Monkey, I'd just been to see a kinesiologist and he'd taken me off dairy, sugar and white flour and it did me a world of good, so I'd like to try that again as well. BUT, when I DO have dairy, I'll make it fattening dairy cuz the recent research says that's better than low-far dairy for fertility.
So there ya go. That's my shopping list! And if I can just lay off the sweets, I know that will be a boon, too. Here's to a healthy baby!

No comments: